[TriLUG] Wireless questions...

Josh Vickery vickeryj at alumni.grinnell.edu
Mon Aug 19 10:15:33 EDT 2002

> This would be some kind of wireless bridge to another hub
> were I could put one or more wired computers.
>
> My question is...  There seems to be access points that work as access
> points or as bridges, but not both at the same time.  I think I need an
> access point for the laptops and a bridge for the two wired lans??

I am not aware of any wireless devices that can act as both an AP and
bridge, however, bridging might just be something that you want to avoid
altogether.  There is nothing wrong with bridging, but it is quite expensive,
both in terms of money and overhead.  The standard ethernet bridging protocol
involves far more computing power than a simple AP.  Plus you would have
to buy two bridges or an AP and a bridge (ethernet->wireless->ethernet).

Instead, I would think you should be able to simply buy one AP, and a wireless
card for your upstairs computer.

This has the downside of requiring you to buy wireless cards for all
upstairs computers, but the cards are cheaper than the APs, and the APs
are cheaper than the bridges.

josh

--
Joshua Vickery