[TriLUG] odd question of the day.

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 20 08:16:33 EDT 2002

On Monday 19 August 2002 20:21, Greg Brown wrote:
> Does anyone here work at the EPA or know anything about their computer
> infrastructure?  Rumor has it the EPA has gone to Linux in a big way but I
> can't find anything on their website about Linux at all.  This whole thing
> started started because I'm trying to find an area of the government where
> Linux has made some inroads.  So far the DOD has some rabid Linux users but
> no official Linux policy other than to say DOD people shouldn't run Linux.

I hope it's true.  I also think it's a good bet that it's true.  Given the
budget shortfalls resulting from loss of capital gains taxes and income taxes
the impetus to use money saving technology will grow.  The usual total cost
of ownership (TCO) blather will be paraded by the for-profit Linux/OSS
alternatives, but those studies are under suspicion of being reverse
engineered to favor the product of the marketing organization that produced
the study.

--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002