[TriLUG] email content filtering

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 1 17:34:55 EDT 2002

I ran SpamAssassin as a daemon on an older PC (650Mhz, 768Mb RAM) and it
easily handled 8,000 emails/day.  I estimate that if we raised the RAM
to a full 1Gb then the box could easily have handled three times that
amount of mail. There were around 180 individual accounts, and probably
500 corporate alias/group accounts.

Folks on the Mail Scanner list report scanning up-wards of 250,000
emails/day on their systems, and in this case they are scanning both for
viruses and for spam.

If you overload a system that is running SpamAssassin by throwing too
much mail at it, then the mail will simply queue up. Normal latency (for
the system I set up at my former employer) added an average of 5 seconds
to incoming email.  Of course you only test incoming email... The peak
latency was around 25 minutes - with the peak occurring late at night.

SpamAssassin is really quite amazing.  We've talked about it on this
list before, so I won't repeat the details again, but if you want more
info, drop me line and I'll be happy to describe how it works in detail
for you.

Jon
===