[TriLUG] Maybe OT: PDAs

William Ward wwward at pobox.com
Wed Sep 4 20:11:26 EDT 2002

Yeah Tanner, but its terribly hard to fit even the smaller PCs into
one's coat pocket, granted its difficult to fit an iPaq into a shirt
pocket.

I use my iPaq for the following:
1.  MP3s
2.  PIM with Outlook on my corporate Exchange system.
3.  Wireless e-mail via cellphone and WiFi, depending on which is
available at the location I'm visiting.
4.  E-books onscreen.
5.  Audible audio books (not onscreen)
6.  Cheesy web browsing, limited at best but sometimes useful depending
on the competency of the website owner.
7.  Trading contact info with my Palm-equipped friends via Infrared.

Unfortunately:
1.  The iPaq's battery life is about the same as a cellular phone,
generally needs to see a wall wart each night.
2.  The size of the iPaq necessitates a large coat pocket or holster,
unless you leave the expansion sleeve at home - in which case you have
no WiFi nor compactflash expansion.  The naked iPaq fits in a pocket
with ease.
3.  The iPaq does not sync with anything that isn't Outlook.
4.  The iPaq costs a lot of money.
5.  The iPaq accessories cost a lot of money too.
6.  You're always afraid you'll break your iPaq, because it cost a lot
of money.
7.  You rapidly realize that while the iPaq isn't particularly useful
despite its incredible power - because everything is expensive, and you
may have well just bought a laptop and a backpack.  While I enjoy using
my iPaq for the things above, I wouldn't say it adds value to my life,
certainly not enough to justify the expense.  One day i'll grow up and
control my impulse buying - if it weren't for that, I wouldn't be
typing this on a shiny, new PowerBook G4 computer, it adds value to my
life.  Now if I can just get rid of all the other stuff.

In fact, I may roll over to eBay right now.  I'd rather have the $450.
Don't overestimate the value of PDAs.  For the most part, they're
pointless without always-on e-mail ability.  Otherwise you may as well
shoot for the cheapest model that supports synchronizing
appointments/contacts with your PC based organizer of choice.

Bill