[TriLUG] Maybe OT: PDAs

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 4 23:48:37 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 20:11, William Ward wrote:
> Yeah Tanner, but its terribly hard to fit even the smaller PCs into
> one's coat pocket, granted its difficult to fit an iPaq into a shirt
> pocket.
>
> I use my iPaq for the following:
> 1.  MP3s
<snip>

> In fact, I may roll over to eBay right now.  I'd rather have the $450.
> Don't overestimate the value of PDAs.  For the most part, they're
> pointless without always-on e-mail ability.  Otherwise you may as well
> shoot for the cheapest model that supports synchronizing
> appointments/contacts with your PC based organizer of choice.

I may be the oddball in this. I've been using a Palm based PDA of one
kind or another for about 4 years now. I get almost no business related
use out it. While it looks like I'm dutifully taking notes in meetings,
I'm usually playing a game. That's about the extent of my business use.

But for personal use, I'd be lost without it. Any time I have to go to
the home improvement store for anything, I write the sizes down in my
Palm. I can always find a phone number when I need it. And when ever my
wife mentions something that would make a good gift, I put it in my
Palm. This function alone has been worth the price of admission. I use
it as an organizer, but for my personal life, not my professional life.

Ken