[TriLUG] Earthlink fun

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 9 12:55:11 EDT 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 12:00, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> John Beimler wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:55, Mike Mueller wrote:
> >>So here's a technique for Linux users and router users:  if you don't get
> >>along with an ISP CS rep., simply end the call and start over.  Repeat
> >> until you get someone that is willing to help and knowledgeable.  Lying
> >> about using winows did not work in this case.  I had to 'fess-up about
> >> using a router.
>
> This doesn't match well with my own experience with Earthlink; however,
> I have their DSL service.

Me too.  I am a loyal customer.  I've been with them since 1996.  I will
become a Earthlink cable customer soon.

> I've had to call them five or six times since I started using them
> nearly a year ago.  Each time I've said up front that I use an SMC
> Barricade router, and while it makes them hesitate for a moment, they've
> just plunged ahead and worked with me.
>
> I have to admit that setting up PPPoE on this router is much more
> straightforward than the only other one I've tried (Netopia).  PPPoE was
> a hassle at first, but after some initial mess everything works smoothly.

The Linksys appliance router is very easy for setting up PPPoE too.

> The last time I called them it was about a routing problem that wasn't
> even on their network.  I feared the worst when I called but was
> pleasantly surprised.  The rep I spoke with had me using traceroute and
> pinging away to find out why I couldn't reach my employer's server.  She
> looked up the broken routing system with whois and told me who I needed
> to contact to request a fix.
>
> I wonder if the people who work on the DSL side of their support team
> are more experienced?

Probably.  The guy that suggested I update my router firmware was an extreme
departure from the norm I think.

I had a follow up call from the Customer Satisfaction group.  I told him that
I turned off the static IP feature to fix my problem.  He asked if I was
satisfied.  I said that I'd like them to fix their static IP service.  He
said they couldn't work on it because I had closed my ticket.  I said that I
wasn't to use bad service so they could fix their problem.  He said there
wasn't much else he could do.  I said, "Fine."  He said there was one more
thing he wanted to ask about - it seemed that someone turned off the static
IP feature. :-)  I am a satisfied Earthlink customer because I have lowered
my expectations.

I checked into speakeasy DSL.  They appear to be $10 more per month that what
I am currently paying.  I guess you get what you pay for - good service costs
more.  You can't have Wal-Mart prices with Neiman-Marcus service.  That's the
reason I mention these experiences on this list - if you're aware of how
service can be less than ideal before you get caught in its effect, you'll
perhaps have more patience and resourcefulness in dealing with it.

--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002