[TriLUG] Earthlink fun

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 9 12:00:40 EDT 2002

John Beimler wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:55, Mike Mueller wrote:
>
>>So here's a technique for Linux users and router users:  if you don't get
>>along with an ISP CS rep., simply end the call and start over.  Repeat until
>>you get someone that is willing to help and knowledgeable.  Lying about using
>>winows did not work in this case.  I had to 'fess-up about using a router.

This doesn't match well with my own experience with Earthlink; however,
I have their DSL service.

I've had to call them five or six times since I started using them
nearly a year ago.  Each time I've said up front that I use an SMC
Barricade router, and while it makes them hesitate for a moment, they've
just plunged ahead and worked with me.

I have to admit that setting up PPPoE on this router is much more
straightforward than the only other one I've tried (Netopia).  PPPoE was
a hassle at first, but after some initial mess everything works smoothly.

The last time I called them it was about a routing problem that wasn't
even on their network.  I feared the worst when I called but was
pleasantly surprised.  The rep I spoke with had me using traceroute and
pinging away to find out why I couldn't reach my employer's server.  She
looked up the broken routing system with whois and told me who I needed
to contact to request a fix.

I wonder if the people who work on the DSL side of their support team
are more experienced?