[TriLUG] Question about webapp design philosophy

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Sep 9 14:53:47 EDT 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, rob wildermann wrote:

> A significant problem both with what you are proposing and the original
> Fusebox spec is that web spiders for most (all?) large search engines
> ignore the concept of url parameters altering page content. This
> effectively means that only the info on your default page will be
> searchable. If you go your own way, I would at least look at how the
> Fusebox folks defeated this problem if you are concerned about how your
> site shows up in web searches.

Actually, you'll find that nowadays most search engines have learned to
follow URL parameters just fine.  Certainly Google does an excellent job
of it, and Google is really the only search engine that matters anymore.
:-)  Generally, Google will follow HREF links to pages with URL
parameters, but it will not submit forms.  Therefore, basic Fusebox stuff
(and the similar URLs used at eBay) will work fine.

--Jeremy