[TriLUG] Belkin KVM beep muffled

Jerry gordon at med.unc.edu
Tue Sep 10 14:32:39 EDT 2002

Hello,
	I have a Belkin KVM (Ominview SOHO) that used to beep loudly when the
channel was switched. I disassembled the unit and muffled the speaker.
Now it beeps very quietly. According to tech support there is a firmware
update to turn off the beep but it doesn't work correctly. Also
according to tech support opening the case voids the warranty.
	To open the case half remove (or cut down the middle) the model number
sticker that bridges the two halves of the case. Remove the two screws.
Remove the base by sliding it backward. Removing the base reveals two
plastic latches: push them inward to allow the two halves of the case to
separate. The two halves are attached in a similar way to the silver
front panel. In the middle of the bend of the front panel are two
latches that you might be able to unlatch by inserting a very small
screw driver or knife blade. I found the pieces came apart without
damage just by rotating them gently outward. On one of the exposed
circuit boards is a mini speaker. The stencil on the board says LS1
IIRC. In the middle of the speaker is a small hole from which the sound
emerges. I took a firmly rolled bit of cotton from a cotton swab and
packed it in pretty tightly. The tighter I packed it the quieter the
speaker became. I pulled the cotton out to see if I had done any damage
and none was apparent so I put it back in. I had the keyboard and mouse
cables from one of the computers connected so I could hear the beeping
volume as I packed.
	Instead of muffling the sound you could try removing the speaker with a
soldering iron. I would not expect the functioning of the box to be
affected by the removal but you never know.
	After reassembling the case the box functions as before except for the
very quiet beep.
	I am much happier with the kvm switch now.
Jerry
--
Gerald W. Gordon, Ph.D.
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology

919/966-2941 (vox)
919/966-1856 (fax)
Gordon at med.unc.edu (email)