[TriLUG] KVM nightmare

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 12 15:29:23 EDT 2002

Douglas Kojetin wrote:

> I've had it with this thing.  Can someone offer any advice,

I have two computers hooked up to two monitors, but I share a
single mouse and keyboard.  There is no kvm, it's all done
with software.

my win2k box runs vncserver:

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

My linux box uses x2vnc.

  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/extras.html#x2vnc

This let's me have two computers, two monitors without
swapping keyboards, or fooling with kvm.  To use the other
computer, you simply side the mouse to the other computer
and start typing.

It doesn't scale very well ( probably 3 computers is the best
you can do).  Also, it does not work so well with linux<->linux
systems ( vnc on linux creates a brand new desktop).  x0rfb
is a vnc server that uses X's :0, but it not as stable.

Also, you might try a virtual window manager on win32 ( such as
cool desk), and run a vnc server on the linux box ( check linux
journal -- they had a couple of articles on it last year).

This same setup should work on a mac ( maybe others as well).