[TriLUG] Wireless Help

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Sat Sep 14 16:35:13 EDT 2002

Hello everyone,
   After many hours of frustration, I am coming hat in hand to ask for
assistance. I have a Cisco Aironet 340 Series card, specifically a
AIR-PCM342US. I am trying to get it to connect to a D-Link DWL-900AP
access point. I am running a fairly update RH7.3 on my laptop. I have
configured the access point for 128bit WEP and put it in shared mode. I
was able to connect using the Aironet card from Windows, so I know there
is no hardware problems.
   The question is how to get it to connect under RH. I googled and
found a doc saying to use 'redhat-config-network'. Well, the version
with RH7.3 doesn't support Wireless. I downloaded the Rawhide version
and that led to a quick trip into dependency HELL. I cheated by editting
'ifcfg-eth0' manually. I was able to connect with WEP turned off and the
access point in open mode when I set the AP to those. The ifcfg-eth0
file that worked is below. I tried putting my key in the KEY field, no
love. Anyone got the magic recipe?

Ken

P.S. Once this is working, is there an easy way to switch between my
wired card and the Aironet?

ifcfg-eth0:
USERCTL='NO'
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'