[TriLUG] kmail cannot send mail

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Sep 19 16:18:16 EDT 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Mike Mueller wrote:

> On Thursday 19 September 2002 15:33, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > known as an "open relay" and is the main reason that spam proliferates.
> > It strikes me as very interesting that AOL's SMTP server allowed your
> > connection... was the mail delivered properly?  I assume you weren't
> > sending it to an AOL recipient?  I find it VERY hard to believe that AOL
> > is running an open relay.
>
> OK I see the connection between RR, Earthlink on TW cable and AOL.  But I
> also was successful using smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
>
> I also remember that I got a temporary ISP in another state this summer and I
> had to change the SMTP server.
>
> I am sending this message via smtp.oreilly.com (we'll see what happens).

Actually, your mail configuration doesn't seem to be what you think it is.
Your message actually went through mclain.mail.mindspring.net, which is
one of Mindspring's mail servers.  See the full headers of your message
for details.  I don't use kmail so I can't be certain of the exact
problem here.

--Jeremy