Earthlink SMTP (was Re: [TriLUG] kmail cannot send mail)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu Sep 19 16:35:59 EDT 2002

Jeremy Portzer [jeremyp at pobox.com] wrote:

> Actually, your mail configuration doesn't seem to be what you think it is.
> Your message actually went through mclain.mail.mindspring.net, which is
> one of Mindspring's mail servers.  See the full headers of your message
> for details.  I don't use kmail so I can't be certain of the exact
> problem here.

If I remember correctly, Earthlink uses a transparent proxy for outgoing
SMTP to redirect their customers through their own servers.

One piece of evidence is your headers, given that you are attempting to
use SMTP servers that are outside their network:

helo=there)
        by mclean.mail.mindspring.net with smtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
        id 17s7d8-0000Iz-00
        for trilug at trilug.org; Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:11:02 -0400

So, mclean.mail.mindspring.net is receiving your message from
user-0c8h10s.cable.mindspring.com (your current IP?), no matter what you
try and use as your outgoing SMTP server.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost