Earthlink SMTP (was Re: [TriLUG] kmail cannot send mail)

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 19 16:45:40 EDT 2002

On Thursday 19 September 2002 16:35, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Jeremy Portzer [jeremyp at pobox.com] wrote:
> > Actually, your mail configuration doesn't seem to be what you think it
> > is. Your message actually went through mclain.mail.mindspring.net, which
> > is one of Mindspring's mail servers.  See the full headers of your
> > message for details.  I don't use kmail so I can't be certain of the
> > exact problem here.
>
> If I remember correctly, Earthlink uses a transparent proxy for outgoing
> SMTP to redirect their customers through their own servers.
>
> One piece of evidence is your headers, given that you are attempting to
> use SMTP servers that are outside their network:

> helo=there)
>         by mclean.mail.mindspring.net with smtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
>         id 17s7d8-0000Iz-00
>         for trilug at trilug.org; Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:11:02 -0400
>
> So, mclean.mail.mindspring.net is receiving your message from
> user-0c8h10s.cable.mindspring.com (your current IP?), no matter what you
> try and use as your outgoing SMTP server.
>
> Mike

I was wondering about "mclean" and sometimes "barry".  I tried to fake them
out by using smtp.bogus.com and I couldn't get connected.  It seems that I
have to use a real smtp server.  The second time I tried to use
smtp.oreilly.com I got busted with a message about not allowing relaying.
Did smtp.oreilly.com get wise the second time?  Does this "transparent proxy"
participate in the protocol enchange somehow?  Is there a logging option I
can use to watch the exchange?  I could get out Ethereal and capture the
exchange too.

--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002