[TriLUG] incoherent ramblings

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 21 00:20:30 EDT 2002

I've been reading more and more about Palladium - Microsoft's latest
ploy to control both the Internet and everything on your computers.
The latest news is now AMD has opted in to support Palladium.  This
means I'll be snapping up Macs so I can have SOMETHING that will still
work the way I want.  At the time Palladium comes out I can hopefully
buy a current generation Mac running (hopefully) a non-Intel or AMD
processor and maybe I'll still have some control over my own systems.

What really strikes me is aren't we going backwards with all this copy
protection BS?  Right now I get most of my news from NPR and the web.
If it comes down to me either bowing down to Bill Gates to surf the
'net or NOT surfing all I'll take the latter.  Just cancel my
RoadRunner and DirectTV, thank you.  I'll get my news from the radio.
Welcome to the 1940s!   Oh, the reason I'll be giving up my TV is the
recording industry is pushing to have all television stations to
digital by 2004, not 2007 which is the current date of all this going
digital.  The recording industry is also pushing for digital signals to
have a "digital watermark" which prevents the "unauthorized copying" of
the signals.  This means all TV sets are obsolete as well as DVD-Rs,
VHS, TiVOs, etc.  Nice, huh?

So, if this sick plan comes to fruition I'll cancel the satellite and
RoadRunner, quit what will then by a total joke of an industry (because
we'll ALL be running M$ products - can't do anything else) and go into
real estate or something.

I hate to come off as an activist (or a psycho, but it's probably too
late of that) but let's not let this happen people.

Greg

<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/14/1031608343597.html>
Palladuim

<http://www.froghunters.com/cbdtpa/html/read_the_bill.html>
A bill in the Senate RIGHT NOW calling for digital copyright
protections based on software patented by Microshit

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25891.html>
Little Billy's plan to eradicate Linux

<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/
20020907/tc_nm/bizcomputers_security_dc>
More M$ BS

<http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/09/17/school.web.filters.ap/
index.html>
Red Hat blocked by firewall software purchased by public school.
Unrelated?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

..and I could go on and on.