[TriLUG] lulu - my impressions

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sat Sep 28 23:18:23 EDT 2002

> Good first try for the Tech Circus!!  >

I agree.  Real quick, here are a few of my thoughts and impressions:

1.  I attended both of Andy Hunt's talks, and was impressed with both. He's
     a sharp guy, and I picked up some useful ideas from his talks.  I was
however,
     disappointed not to see Andy Oliver at either. (That comment will only
be
     meaningful to you if you're also on the Tri-JUG mailing list )

2.  The heat *was* a problem, at least on Friday. It was 6:00 when I got out
there,
      and it was uncomfortably hot then.  I can only imagine what it was
like during the
      earlier part of the day on Friday.  Saturday wasn't as bad, because it
was cooler
      outside anyway.

3.  I learned of the existence of a couple of users groups in the area, that
I had not
      previously been aware of.  The Lotus Notes users group being one of
them.  It
     was cool to see area Users Groups well represented at the show.

4.   I was a little surpised by the companies that --didn't-- show up to
exhibit, local
      companies in particular... I expected to see Red Hat, IBM,
TogetherSoft, maybe
      even Cisco, etc... at the show.. no dice...

5.   Got a free copy of Bob Young's book.. that was cool.

6.   I noticed that (at least some) of the computers in the "computer lab"
area were
     running Windoze and IE... I have to admit, that suprised me...  I guess
I just
     assumed that since Bob Young was the man behind this event, that
GNU/Linux would be
     the OS choice of the day.

7.  Got a couple of cool T-shirts, including a neat "thinkgeek.com" shirt
that I'd
      been wanting for a while anyway....

And that's about it... it was an interesting experience, and I think it will
only get
better in the future, assuming it survives...

TTYL,

Phillip