[TriLUG] lulu - my impressions

Lisa C. Boyd lisab at moya.trilug.org
Sun Sep 29 08:11:15 EDT 2002

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions so far. It's been interesting
to hear the comments about the shows especially since I've been selling
tickets most of the weekend :) It has definitely been nice to meet all
the Triluggers who've come through - and I see by the recent posts that
some of you slipped by without introducing yourself!

> I was however, disappointed not to see Andy Oliver at either. (That
> comment will only be meaningful to you if you're also on the Tri-JUG
> mailing list )

When I first read this I was thinking that Andy Hunt was the one giving
the great talks about Wi-Fi security but that's Alan Clegg. Alan by the
way gave a very interesting talk last night about the open wireless
networks around the Triangle (got to hear from the other side of the
curtain at least!).

> The heat *was* a problem, at least on Friday.

The heat was definitely a problem on Friday especially after the big
rain. I think cooler weather on Saturday helped and also the fact that
they raised some of the roll doors to help circulate some air. I didn't
notice being hot at all on Saturday.

> I was a little surpised by the companies that --didn't-- show up to
> exhibit, local companies in particular... I expected to see Red Hat,
> IBM, TogetherSoft, maybe even Cisco, etc... at the show.. no dice...

I can only comment on Red Hat. I thought the same as you (that they
would have a booth there), but then someone told me that Bob is trying
to separate (as much as he can) Lulu from Red Hat. He wants Lulu to
stand on its own as a company. I was surprised that some of the
companies you mentioned didn't exhibit, but I haven't heard anything
about them as to why they aren't there.

> I noticed that (at least some) of the computers in the "computer lab"
> area were running Windoze and IE... I have to admit, that suprised me...
> I guess I just assumed that since Bob Young was the man behind this
> event, that GNU/Linux would be the OS choice of the day.

I assumed the exact same thing. Even working here behind the scenes, I
didn't know what to expect - so it was really hard to tell people that
I'm working there, but I can't really tell you anything yet. I almost
tackled one of the IT guys when I saw him working on a Win2K machine.
You should've seen the look on his face! He politely explained to me
that the games (specifically) that they had to showcase run on Win2K.
That's when it really sunk in that this is a "Tech" as in Technology
show - not an Open Source/GNU/Linux/Bob/Red Hat thing. I think some of
the people who've been there were expecting the same things we were -
but we'll all know better for next year!!

I think it is excellent that every time I went by the TriLUG booth -
ya'll had people in front of you asking you questions! You guys are
great and have helped me out a lot! I know that it was hard on all that
have worked the booth, but the alternative isn't very attractive. I did
see a few people manning booths that were absolutely bored! (Especially
the one across from the VR booth!) Anyway, I think you guys have done a
great job - and no doubt we'll be adding to the list and growing the
group!

Well - I'm off to the show again! If you come in today, say "hey" again
- it helps the day go by quick!

Lisa B.