[TriLUG] sparc 4 hardware

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Oct 7 22:08:01 EDT 2002

Greg Brown [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:
> All signs point to junk; no iptables and I can't use both ethernet
> interfaces plus it sounds exceptionally slow.  Does anyone have any use
> for a Sparc4 (working keyboard, mouse, and monitor), and a Sparc LX?
> If so, it's yours.

I'll let someone else step up first, if you're serious. :)

> Does anyone have a good idea what to do with this hardware?  First
> Sparc in space?  Snail mail it to a random address in China?  Donate to
> some 3rd world "in need of computers" program?  Test the "boat anchor"
> theory for real?  Set it by the side of the road with "Free to good
> home" sign to see how long it takes for someone to pick it up?  Hood
> ornament?   Speed bump?

No, USE IT!  For the love of god, it's still useful!  It can run as a
firewall quite well.  Also, I have two other Sparc5's (one a 70 and
the other is a 110) that are my DNS servers for my domains.  It won't
run as your next desktop, but can still function just fine as a server.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost