[TriLUG] Buying a laptop with no Microsoft tax?

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Tue Oct 8 17:16:31 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 16:51, John Beimler wrote:
> Folks, wake up. According to Apple's 10-K filing with the SEC, Microsoft
> owns at least "150,000 shares of Apple Series A nonvoting convertible
> preferred stock("preferred stock")".  They are directly profiting from
> any purchase at the Apple store, and especially if you pony up your cash
> for Office X.
>
> Any PC you buy, part of the money is going to Microsoft somehow, some
> way, just deal.

When I went looking for a laptop about a year ago I could not find a
Linux laptop that I could afford. I went with a cheap HP with XP Home. I
don't use the XP, I just use RedHat on it. Sure, MS gets their tax out
of me, but that's all they'll ever get.

I make myself feel good about it by using OpenOffice instead MS Office.

Ken