[TriLUG] dead motherboard

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Wed Oct 9 22:10:05 EDT 2002

Greg Brown wrote:

> How about creating a diskless station to boot off CD (also replacing
> the bios with LinuxBIOS) to use as my firewall.
> Is a configuration like this possible?  Is it not a good idea?  Or
> just a stupid idea for some reason that I'm not seeing in my sleepy fog?

It's a good idea. But, of course, if you write your firewall rules correctly, you needn't worry about hacking.

Note that motherboards which work with LinuxBIOS are still limited.

There are a few floppy-based Linux firewalls which do what you're attempting. I'll have to dig up some URL's and send them your way.

On another note, I saw story on Slashdot a while back showing how to run a firewall at runlevel 0. I haven't tried it yet, but it looked like a neat trick.

--
  Mark Turner, N4JMT   Siteseers Inc.
  www.markturner.net   Open Source Solutions