[TriLUG] DVR

Bryan Burroughs beburrou at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 10 19:29:34 EDT 2002

Dave,
    I have the 8500AIW, and it works like a charm on XP.  The S-Video
output is pretty good as far as I am concerned.  I used a Radeon 7000
previously with a big screen TV and the S-Video output was great.  I
used the 8500 over the summer and the output was less than stellar, but
I was also using a really crappy TV, so I chalk it up to the TV.  As for
why I chose ATI over GeForce, there were three factors.
    I prefer Built-By-ATI cards because I have had ATI cards in the past
and they worked very well.  Also, I got a little bit of security by
buying a "Built By ATI" card, since the tech support I recieved for
"Powered-By-ATI" cards was sketchy, at least from the downloadable
driver point of view.  In fact, the driver CD that came with a
Powered-By card didn't even recognize the card it shipped with.  I also
knew very little at the time about how the GeForce side of the house
works as far as what is "official" made by nVidia and what wasn't, so
when I was shopping around, the "Built-By-ATI" was a sure-fire way to
know ATI made it.
    Also, the price difference was dramatic between GeForce and ATI, so
that was important.  IIRC, GeForce, from what I understand has held the
lead in the graphics card industry between the two as far as power goes,
but with that also came a stiffer price.  ATI's latest card, the 9700(i
think) might stand up to the GeForce now, but there is no AIW version
yet, and the current price that I saw for a 9700 Pro was around 350-450,
so the AIW would add on at least another 100.  But, it appears you are
more concerned with the TV-tuner and TV-out than you are with gaming, so
the 8500 AIW will do.  I've noticed very little difference between the
7500(?)AIW and 8500 AIW TV-tuner capabilities, so I doubt there will be
a big change between the 9700AIW and 8500AIW in that categorie.
    Finally, the AIW came with a much butter set of TV software than the
GeForce, which was important to me, since I didn't want to be fumbling
around trying to find decent TV software.  I love the GuidePlus that
comes with the AIW, and the TV recording and playback is rather
straightforward, though I still can't find the first program I tried to
record with GuidePlus.  Documentation is pretty much nonexistent, but
the features are easy enough to understand.   Add to that the USB IR
remote that comes with the AIW and the internal TV-Tuner on the AIW, as
opposed to the Personal Cinema's external one, and that was enough to
convince me to stick with ATI.
    As for the TV-tuner in linux issue, I have not even begun to try
that, since I first heard it was "impossible," and then today found
something about it on the internet.  When I have more spare time, i'll
give the page I saw a try, but that will be my first experience trying
to install software on linux, so its gonna be hairy.  If you want, I can
let you know how it goes.  The card was found by RH8 with no problem,
though it does only detect for the Radeon 8500 as listed, so...  Or
maybe that was 7.3, I dunno.
    Hope this helps,
        Bryan Burroughs

--
"It's a one dog town, and he's old and mean..."
	-- Garth Brooks