[TriLUG] DVR

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:35:55 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 15:46, Dave Schwartzburg wrote:
> I am currently thinking about getting a video card with TV input
> capability.  The two I am looking at are the ATI All-in-wonder 8500 w/
> 128mb ddr ram.  The other is the nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Personal Cinema.

I have experience with an ATI card (the TV Wonder, I think) and it has
been great under Linux. I use it with my game consoles for making screen
grabs and playing when the TV is otherwise disposed (i.e. Mandy's
watching something).

I haven't used it for output (not sure if my card does it), but I have
made movies using streamer/xawtv and have been pleased with the ease of
use, from the command line.

One hint I can give: don't forget to switch your system to take audio
input from the line-in (not microphone) if you're recording audio and
video. That drove me crazy. I ended up setting this through the GNOME2
audio mixer.

Also, if anyone knows: I can't get the MPEG encoder to deal with video
recorded at anything but 24fps. What's up with that? I can dig up the
error if someone wants, but it's really unusual. Something about a pel
ratio.

At 24fps, it's not bad, but video games with fast moving objects can
show a jerkiness that's unfortunate.

matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\