[TriLUG] Unix freaks, check out this hardware vendor

Stephen Schaefer stephen_schaefer27517 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 13:16:55 EDT 2002

When I last worked on an E450, it was using a copper
pin hot swap connector for its disk drives.  No FCAL
needed.  Things may have changed since then.
Certainly, FCAL was available, but at the time, only
for external storage.

Sun equipment is vastly more expensive than PC
equipment.  It is usually more reliable, as well.  You
can make up for that margin of reliability by building
redundant systems out of PC components, but you have
to decide if the extra complexity and $$ for a
competent sysadmin to build and run it for you is
worth it. As a competent sysadmin, I think it usually
is :-).  If you don't need that reliability, and you
don't need software that runs only on a SPARC, the
conclusion is fairly obvious.

If you need a very large system, like the Sun E10000
with Oracle finely tuned to take every advantage of
it, then it will probably be a better value buying the
Sun than designing and building it yourself from PC
components.

    - Stephen P. Schaefer

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10312384&hdwt=30401&loc=101