[TriLUG] Kernel compilation class

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Mon Nov 11 13:59:14 EST 2002

Embedded systems.  Computer-on-a-chip stuff.

Let's say I play an electric guitar, sing into a microphone and monitor
the vocals.  Well, a PC with a soundcard could transceive audio over IP.
However, it is not something I could strap on to my belt.

Now, a highly-optimized Linux kernel with only the necessary services
and drivers to spew IP instead of analog audio is possible.

The same methodology would also apply to a dedicated firewall or other
Linux-based appliances.