[TriLUG] tcpwrappers and imap

sstancil at geekrooms.com sstancil at geekrooms.com
Sun Nov 17 18:16:57 EST 2002

I am having a slight problem with RedHat 8.0, tcpwrappers, and imaps.  I
have iptables configures to allow TCP connections on port 993.

In hosts.deny,

ALL: ALL

In hosts.allow,

imaps: ALL

(I have tried imap: ALL as well, just in case and confirmed that
/etc/services has port 993 mapped to imaps.)

In /etc/xinetd.d/imaps,

service imaps
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
        log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
        log_on_failure  += HOST
}

I am getting the following in /var/log/messages,

 xinetd[23726]: libwrap refused connection to imaps from w.x.y.z

Anyone seeing a similar problem from tcpwrappers or have suggestions?

Scott Stancil
sstancil at geekrooms.com