[TriLUG] tcpwrappers and imap

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Nov 17 18:03:02 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 06:16:57PM -0500, sstancil at geekrooms.com spoke thusly:
> I am having a slight problem with RedHat 8.0, tcpwrappers, and imaps.  I
> have iptables configures to allow TCP connections on port 993.

Hrm. OK, this indicates that at least the connection is getting
through to xinetd, which is good - it means the real problem is
tcpwrappers, and not any of the other stuff.

- That being said, if you remove the deny rule, does that clarify
things?

- Have you restarted xinetd since you last changed the tcpwrapper
rules (you shouldn't need to, AFAIK, but it's still a CYA)?

- You may also want to try :

ALL EXCEPT imaps : ALL

in host.deny - that's supposedly equaivalent to "imaps : ALL' in
hosts.allow, but sometimes it's better to specify both places as
another CYA.

HTH, YMMV, HAND, etc, etc.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --