[TriLUG] best tool for the job (was about DVD burning)

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Tue Nov 19 12:10:31 EST 2002

Guys, I've been kind of following this thread with a half hearted
effort. However, I've seen the term DMCA spouted half a dozen times with
respect to Apple using it against "unauthorized access".

Software companies have many, and I mean MANY, legal means to take you
down if you crack their software or use it without properly paying for
it. Anyone remember the term Copyright(c) and what legal force it
implies? Be it in a strictly monetary exchange or through the
aquisistion of hardware. If you use software it, it should be paid for.
I'm no saint on this matter so go ahead and hurl stones at me if you
must, but with age my position on the matter has change.

People in the Open Source community copyright and protect their works to
keep them in the public domain. Companies copyright their works to make
money off of them. Same thing with the whole bastardized system of
Intellectual Property and the patent office.

So why not either "acquire" a commercial system that does what you need
or build one. Granted building one requires finding the correct talents
to help, but no task is insurmountable. It's simply a matter of time and
money (we will leave quality out for a moment). You can probably invest
money and have 80+% of what you want now. Or you can invest lots of time
and have 80+% of what you want later.

The decision is yours.

--

  "Microsoft, where quality is job 1.1" -Anonymous