[TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Wed Nov 20 01:42:51 EST 2002

On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 00:56 US/Eastern, Jason Tower wrote:

> question for all you wireless folks out there: if you needed to set up
> desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use a PCI card or USB
> adapter?  any particular make/model?  thanks in advance -

Without knowing anything about the quirks of either solution, I would
lean towards a PCI card for three reasons:

1. One fewer artifact cluttering up my desk.
2. Depending on how they're both implemented, the USB solution may
require more drivers be loaded increasing the number of modes of
failure.  The USB solution will require PCI->USB root->USB bus->(USB
hub->)* USB Prism2 vs. PCI->[ CardBus adapter->CardBus Bus-> ] PCI
Prism2
3. The USB wireless NIC would, under load, consume most of the
bandwidth of the USB bus, where it wouldn't even come close to
saturating the PCI bus.

jf
--
John Franklin