[TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 20 08:19:52 EST 2002

John Franklin wrote:

>On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 00:56 US/Eastern, Jason Tower wrote:
>
>> question for all you wireless folks out there: if you needed to set up a
>> desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use a PCI card or USB
>> adapter?  any particular make/model?  thanks in advance -
>

>Without knowing anything about the quirks of either solution, I would
>lean towards a PCI card for three reasons:

I lean the other way.  The reason is that my pc is under the desk and
there are couple thousands cables behind there.  I figure that I can
move the antenna around with the usb adaptor to get better reception
if I need to.

Another reason is that I could move them to a portable ( or maybe
even a mac, if I had to) -- They are just more portable.

They should be cheaper too.

Maybe I can get playstation ( even tivo) to use it too.

do they require wall warts?

Of course, I have not tried the usb adaptors.  All theory with no
empirical data......