[TriLUG] need someone for a simple project

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Dec 2 16:36:01 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:22, Jon Carnes wrote:

> I would provide you with a log displaying all my commands (a dump of the
> Bash History), and augment it with comments to explain what is going in
> each section.

An alternative to just using the .bash_history file is to do everything
within a "script" session.  This logs all output to the terminal in a
file; pretty handy for this kind of thing.  However, note this important
caveat from the script man page:
     _Script_ places _everything_ in the log file, including linefeeds
and backspaces.  This is not what the naive user expects.

So if you're using programs that make more use of the terminal than
stdin/stdout (such as vi), you'll need to massage the output somewhat
before sending it on to a client.

--Jeremy