[TriLUG] Hardware: Most reliable IDE HD brand?

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Mon Dec 2 18:44:04 EST 2002

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say its all crap.

Many of you may have been keeping up with the IBM GXP fiasco. Crap
drives, lots of bad production runs, they reduced the warranty, and lots
of people are up in arms over their rewording of the warranty which says
you can only run your drive for something like 6 hours out of the day.

I've heard many people speak positively about Maxtor, many people speak
negatively.

I've heard many people speak positively about Western Digital, and many
people speak negatively.

I think it really just depends on what is happening at that point in
time, and the bottom line is there are insane price wars right now with
hard drives, which mean skimping on 'not-as-important' parts and more
short cuts taken during production runs. Proceed with caution.

Warm Regards,
Tom