[TriLUG] Hardware: Most reliable IDE HD brand?

Doug Taggart lug at blackwizard.net
Mon Dec 2 21:06:51 EST 2002

<warning>
potentially boring story, with a point only at the end..
</warning>

CS187 (data structures, umass).. 3/4 way through a near final semester
project..  circa 1996
save files*.c
power down..  ahh sleep  (note, turned off mainly because it was loud as
hell and in a dorm room)
wekkup 4 hours later to finish that one last function..
power up..
click.. bang, click.. bang, click .. bang (beige box, gives an r2d2 leg
rock shudder..  without the keel over)
*horrified expression on face, and sense of impending project failure*
project fails...  ^@#&@#$%   at that professor...  who only says, "gee
shoulda had a contingency.."
..  next day ..
warranties a replacement shipped out,  project a loss.. but shiny new WD..

next semester...
CS280.. something or other,  scheme....
3/4 way through a near final semester project.. circa early 1997
save files.scm or whatever extension we were using for scheme files..
copy files to another linux box via backup logoff script using nfs...
(yes he does learn, good doggie...)
power down.. ahh sleep
wekkup 4 hours later to finish several other functions...
power up..
click.. bang, click.. bang, click.. bang
*no horror, backups..  AHH..  but anger at western digital*
.. next day ..
shooting range has a new broken hard drive as a target.

I currently have a total of 9 hard drives at home, all Maxtor, not one
has had to be warrantied..
^yet^
*checks out the window at the sky*
One is even as old as 1997...  wooptiee..

Doug T.