[TriLUG] And more Linux news from the latest ed. of Lockergnome's Penguin Shell

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 11 03:54:00 EST 2002

Finally, Newsforge has an excellent article on the City of Largo, Florida. A
little more than a year ago, Largo moved it's employees to Red Hat and KDE
2.1.1. The article is a followup to an earlier visit to and piece on the
city. Author Robin Miller writes:

We noted on our last Largo visit, and note once again, that these are the
least harassed, least worried, calmest sysadmins we have ever met. They have
one of the smallest and least-worked help desks we have ever seen -- five
people who support 450+ client units and over 800 users, and it is all done
without any fuss, muss or hurry.
One of the better reasons for a taxpayer funded locality to move to an open
source IT model? Largo spends 1.3% of its total gross budget on IT. That
compares to an average of 3-4% in other municipalities across the country