[TriLUG] Hacking Society

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Dec 16 23:30:08 EST 2002

it just so happens that my wife works for a not-for-profit agency in downtown
raleigh (tfsnc.org).  they currently have a 50-person office with mostly
pentium 133s, win95, and no server, all sharing a 56k internet connection.
pitiful isn't the word to describe their IT situation.  i am volunteering my
time to get their computers and network in better shape.  i'm setting them up
with RR on wed and routing it thru a linux firewall/nat/dhcp server. as soon
as i get some halfway decent hardware i'll be setting up a samba server, and
eventually moving their email inside to a dedicated server running postfix
and imap, with a webmail package based on apache and mysql.  eventually i
hope to connect their other two smaller offices with a VPN, again running
thru linux boxes.  my ultimate long term goal is to get them all set up with
linux thin clients running off an LTSP server(s) or something to that effect,
but that's a way down the road.

the biggest problem is that they have absolutely no funds to purchase the
necessary hardware for this rather involved project.  their entire network is
currently running theu three or four daisy chained decrepit 10BT hubs.  they
desperately need ethernet hardware, cat5 cabling (bulk and patch cables),
UPSs, a 4 port KVM switch, two or three small/medium servers, backup tapes,
memory, hard drives, NICs, print servers, printers, monitors, etc.  if anyone
is willing to donate to a good cause (or can get their company to donate some
stuff) the ageny would hugely appreciate it.  they are a 501(C) organization
and can provide tax-deductible receipts for donated hardware.

in addition i may be able to use an extra pair of smart hands this wed when RR
is supposed to be set up since i'll have to set up the router and make
configuration changes on all 40+ PCs.

if anyone is interested in helping with hardware or hands, please let me know.
thanks all-

jason