[TriLUG] Mirroring solutions for Samba shares?

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Thu Jan 2 13:16:14 EST 2003

bp,

Not sure what exactly you mean by "mirroring". If you can afford to have
some delay in your transfers, have you considers something like an scp
transfer from the Windows share to your RedHat box? Or rsync with ssh?

I've used rsync w/ssh to mirror important files as a low cost backup on
a daily basis. They run at 5am in the morning or other times when its
not likely to impact network access at either site.

You would have to kick the commands off on the Windows box though since
I'm unsure there is an SSH server for windows.

Best of Luck

-Weave

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 12:09, bp wrote:
> Well if anyone followed my earlier emails about '\rm -fr'ing 4gb
> unintentionally you’ll understand why this question came about.
>
> I’m looking to accurately mirror a Windows files system on to my Red Hat
> server as a means of redundancy. In the past I’ve seen Windows share
> copying as unreliable since several mp3s always seem to get munched in
> the transfer. This makes me apprehensive about scripting my own smbmount
> kind of solution. I can’t afford a tape or hardware solution for a 20GB
> backup. But I do have plenty of disk on both sides.
>
> Are their any recommended mirroring programs for this type of
> application? Ways to make samba transfer more accurate?
>
> Thanks,
> bp

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

  "Microsoft, where quality is job 1.1" -Anonymous