[TriLUG] Re: AGP card suggestion please

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 2 16:53:32 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:56 -0500, Reginald Reed wrote:
>Greg,
>
>Though I haven't set it up in Linux yet, I'm very happy with the ATI
>Radeon 8500LE with 128M of RAM.  I picked it up at newegg.com for under
>$100.  It nearly doubled the framerate of my GeForce4/MX440 in Quake3
>Arena (Urban Terror mod).  I believe this card is fully supported by
>XFree86 with Open Source drivers.

ATI offers binary-only drivers (ala Nvidia) that support acceleration
for both 2D and 3D for the Radeon 8500+. For the Radeon 7000/7500 and
"below," the XFree86/DRI/Gatos drivers are the route to choose. While
performance in Windows may dictate otherwise, under Linux, with ATI's
binary-only accelerated drivers, an 8500LE unfortunately has much worse
performance than a Nvidia GeForce4 MX with Nvidia's binary-only
accelerated drivers.

-Dan

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc