[TriLUG] Linux based HTML editor/generator needed

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Sat Jan 4 12:35:32 EST 2003

> >I hate to burst any bubbles, but this doesn't sound good :) The
> >others have listed editors that will help you with your coding (I've
> >used Quanta with fairly good results), but if you're not graphically
> >inclined - no program can help. I suggest looking at the web site
> >below for design ideas. The designs are open source :)
> >
> >http://www.oswd.org/
> >
> >This should give you something to work with as far as colors and
> >such.  You can download these files and use them in any of the
> >editors mentioned and add custom graphics as you wish (gimp is good
> >for graphics so I've heard, haven't used it yet).
> >
> >If you need some help with designs/graphics - give me a yell off list
> >and I'll see what I can do to help you :)
> >
> >Lisa B.

Lisa is right on this.  A good web editor doesn't make you a "web
designer" anymore than a word processor makes you the "Great American
Novelist."  This is, sadly, a point that most web design books haven't
grokked.  Web books do a good job in presenting the vocabulary of CSS
and HTML, some tricks on making pages dynamic, but nothing on the use of
color, font style, or the impact of certain layouts.  This is like
learning to be a poet by reading a dictionary.

There are some good books on font, color and layout, but they're on the
other side of the store in the "Art" section.

When I'm about to start a web project, I like to go down to my favorite
Books'n'Coffee, grab a technical book and a couple art books, and spend
the afternoon drinking coffee, learning and getting inspired. <feign> It
can be rough, but sometimes you must suffer for your art. </feign>

All that said, "Eric Meyer on CSS" is a fantastic CSS book, especially for
those who have an (even moderate) HTML background, and now want to learn
CSS.

jf
--
John Franklin