[TriLUG] linuux mouse kvm problems

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Wed Jan 8 11:27:07 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:08:02AM -0500, Mike Broome wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:00:10AM -0500, David R. Matusiak wrote:
> > this whole dealy scares me /real/ bad.  i need a KVM solution in the
> > worst way, but i have been putting it off because of lack of $$$ and
> > phantom issues like those listed in this thread.  i'd hate to lay out
> > $150 + cables and wind up *still* having multiple thingies (in this
> > case, mice) connected.
> >
> > anyone have any happy stories?  perhaps KVM over IP??  or even a
> > different manufacturer??
>
> KVM over IP is basically what you get by using VNC.  One limitation is
> that you can't have different machines actually driving the monitor at
> different resolutions/rates.  Different resolutions end up being
> different sized VNC client windows.  You might also run into problems
> with motion video (playing fast-moving games, watching video playback)
> because of network latency, but that would probably be the case with any
> "over IP" solution.

Following up to my own post since I didn't finish thinking before I sent
it ...

AFAIK, another case that VNC won't handle is working with text mode
screens.  The especially critical ones that you'd not be able to get to
are watching boot sequence and accessing BIOS screens.

M.

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org