[TriLUG] red hat sendmail rpms with tls support?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Jan 8 21:08:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 20:34, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Kevin Sonney wrote:
> >
> > Try the erratta update version, or recompiling the SRPM from 8.0. I
> > know it's in the 8.0 builds (the changelog says so - thanks Nalin!)
> > but I'm not sure if it propigated back yet. If it's version 8.12.2-1
> > or higher, it should have starttls built.
>
> i hate this..  no errata version for 7.2.  the 8.0 sendmail source
> rpm requires hesiod-devel,
> which requires db4,
> which requires jdkgcj,
> which requires gcc-java,
> which requires who-knows-what.
>
> this sucks.  i mean, the dependencies are based upon what the builder
> has installed, not a minimum version.

Why do you say that?  It looks like it's being built with hesiod
support-- if you don't need hesiod, can't you change the build options
and remove that dependency?  Source is power.

> and the dependencies are screwy
> anyway.  for a long time i couldn't get rid of midnight commander
> because something else i needed required it -- for what, i have
> no clew.
>
> {sigh}
>
> rpm back-version hell..

Well to be fair to Red Hat, I think it's important that they keep
looking forward.  It's hard enough getting things nicely packaged as it
is currently; they'd never get anywhere if they made everything so it
would compile easily on previous versions of RHL too.

I think you have several options, and none of them are unfair.  Besides
adjusting the RPM as I mentioned above, you could always just upgrade to
RHL 8 -- that's the easy way out, really.  Why haven't you done that?

--Jeremy