[TriLUG] red hat sendmail rpms with tls support?

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Wed Jan 8 21:25:21 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Why do you say that?  It looks like it's being built with hesiod
> support-- if you don't need hesiod, can't you change the build options
> and remove that dependency?  Source is power.

i tried that with the 7.2 sendmail source rpm -- which, by the way,
doesn't resemble the sendmail distribution very much at all --
and it not only didn't build, but crapped mightily in the not
building.  all i did was add -DSTARTTLS to one of the build config
files (and *not* the one the sendmail dist said to change).  i'm
not eager to try that again.

>>rpm back-version hell..
>
> Well to be fair to Red Hat, I think it's important that they keep
> looking forward.  It's hard enough getting things nicely packaged as it
> is currently; they'd never get anywhere if they made everything so it
> would compile easily on previous versions of RHL too.

i'm not blaming red hat.  i understand their position; i was in a
similar support role for a couple of decades.  regardless of
whether there's any blame to pass around, it just sucks.  things can
suck without them being anyone's fault.  they don't have to build
against older distribution versions, but it *would* be nice if they'd
use a minimum-requirements scenario for interlocking package versions.

the thing i *do* blame red hat for is the (to my mind, egregious) way
they whack the basic distribution way the hell out of shape in order
to shoehorn in their options.  don't get me wrong; i like their options
and their add-ons -- but they do *not* make it easy to frob the results.
look at the utter crap they did to the apache distribution.  i have
trouble helping people with red hat's apache rpm installed -- and i'm
one of the frickin' apache developers!  why?  because red hat succumbed
to a really violent case of n-i-h syndrome, apparently.

> I think you have several options, and none of them are unfair.  Besides
> adjusting the RPM as I mentioned above, you could always just upgrade to
> RHL 8 -- that's the easy way out, really.  Why haven't you done that?

for one thing, i am frickin' sick and tired of being on the 'want this
new feature in an open-source layered product?  upgrade YOUR WHOLE FRICKIN'
OPERATING SYSTEM' train.  wth, this isn't microsnot.  for another, i don't
have the time to clean up after an upgrade, which time has been significant
almost every upgrade so far.  for a thid, i've got a bunch of systems --
upgrading them all is a problem, *not* a solution.

pardon me, i rant.  i am *not* in a good mood right now.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"