[TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Sat Jan 11 11:08:00 EST 2003

I won the Win4Lin giveaway at the last meeting.  I thought it might be
worthwhile to report my observations of the product for anyone who might
be curious.
In order to install you really do need to read the provided
instructions.  Once I did so installation and configuration was a breeze
on my Redhat 8.0 Dell Inspiron 7500.

I have been a VMWare user for some time now, so I had some expectations
for performance and behavior with Win4Lin.  I am happy to report that my
expectations have been surpassed.  The performance is quite good and the
management/configuration tools are both powerful and intuitive.

I chose to install Win98SE with the virtual networking option.  I use
Outlook to access my company's Exchange server and also need to run a
web-app which requires the Microsoft JVM, so I need IE.  I'm also a
Visio user (I like Kivio just fine but I need to edit co-workers native
Visio drawings).  I have used VMWare in the past to help with my OS
schizophrenia, but recently I have just been running two machines with
SAMBA shares for common data access.

Win4Lin is running all of the Windows apps I have thrown at it so far
without any complaints or surprises.
If you need to run a variety of OS's on one box then VMWare is tough to
beat.  But at $300 its not for everyone.  If you only need to run Win98
on a Linux box then Win4Lin is looking great at $90.  If you have more
time than money then stick with WINE or something.

My 2 cents

Ryan