[TriLUG] Linux VPNs

Scott Stancil sstancil at geekrooms.com
Tue Jan 14 01:30:18 EST 2003

> Has anyone experimented with Linux VPNs?  I have two scenarios I'd like
> to investigate:
>
> 1. point-to-point VPN.  Simply put, two linux routers, one on each end
> of a connection.  Both routers support VPNs between them sporting
> triple-DES encryption.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this?

I think this is called a branch to branch tunnel.  Have you looked at
Freeswan, CIPE, or PoPToP (PPTP)?  The associated sites can be found
through Freshmeat.net.

> (and less importantly)
>
> 2. A VPN firewall much like the LU Brick, Cisco PIX, blah, whatever.
> Clients (sporting a variety of operating systems) connecting to the
> Firewall and authenticate via some kind of VPN client then the firewall
> sets up a nice triple-DES fully encrypted tunnel over protocols 50 and
> 51 between the FW and the client.

I found FreeSwan's explanation of this process for roaming clients a
little difficult to swallow, but I haven't looked at it in sometime
either.