[TriLUG] Linux VPNs

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 23:06:04 EST 2003

Has anyone experimented with Linux VPNs?  I have two scenarios I'd like to
investigate:

1. point-to-point VPN.  Simply put, two linux routers, one on each end of a
connection.  Both routers support VPNs between them sporting triple-DES
encryption.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this?

(and less importantly)

2. A VPN firewall much like the LU Brick, Cisco PIX, blah, whatever.  Clients
(sporting a variety of operating systems) connecting to the Firewall and
authenticate via some kind of VPN client then the firewall sets up a nice
triple-DES fully encrypted tunnel over protocols 50 and 51 between the FW and
the client.

Has anyone done this with an Open Souce solution?  I've set this up a number
of times with various firewalls but I'd like to have an Open Source set-up for
a few clients I have in mind.

muchas gracias,

Greg