[TriLUG] printing from Mac OS X to Linux - SOLVED

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 21:24:32 EST 2003

It's solved!!!  It took quite a bit of doing and several attempts but I
can now print from my Mac OS X clients to my printer served off my
Linux RH 8.0 server.  Here's how I did it.

1. connect the HP 1200 to the usb port on the RH 8.0 box.  Luckily, RH
8.0 already has the correct driver for the printer so getting the
printer to start printing was a snap.  Shut down the server, connect
the USB, reboot.. Kudzu sees the printer and volia!  I can print to my
heart's content.  Only problem is RH seems to default to using LPng
rather than CUPS.

2. Next step was to switch to CUPS from LPng.  I grabbed the CUPS rpms
off CD #2.  A couple rpm -ivh installs later and I had CUPS installed.
I used the RH 8.0 print switch utility, changed the default print
engine to CUPS, opened port 631 (for the CUPS web admin utility).

3. Next was bringing up a web browser and bringing up
http://127.0.0.1:631 which brings up the CUPS utility (oh - after using
chkconfig to stop lp and enable CUPS).   Once again CUPS had the
correct printer driver so setting up the printer in CUPS was a snap.

Now I still had the same, original problem: I can't print from Mac OS
X.  I tried, several times, to connect to the printer using the Mac's
"IP Printing" set-up but it never worked.  I even opened port 515 for
ipp but that didn't help either.  So back to the drawing board.

4.  Now, desperate times call for desperate measures so I popped RH 8.0
cd #3 into the drive and grabbed the netatalk RPMs.  This enabled the
Appletalk protocol on the Linux box.  Ick.  I don't like Appletalk.
It's relies on broadcasts WAY too much and I think it was poorly coded
from day 1 but I was OUT OF OPTIONS.

I 'rpm -ivh' 'ed the netatalk rpms then with a quick 'service atalk
start' I had appletalk up and running.

5. Now the only thing left to do was define the printer so I edited the
/etc/atalk/papd.conf file and added the following lines to the end of
the file:

LinuxJet:\
         :pr=|/usr/bin/lp -d linuxJet:\
         :op=daemon:\
         :pd=/etc/cups/ppd/linuxJet.ppd:

'linuxJet', by the way, was the name I defined the printer as in CUPS.

Once I saved the file I issued the following commands: 'service atalk
restart' and 'service cups restart'.

I poped up the printer admin utility on the Mac, selected Appletalk for
the printer discovery method and VOLIA!!  The printer name 'linuxJet'
popped right up.  I selected the printer type (again, luckily, it
already had the driver) and I sent off a print job.  The printer
printed and all is well.