[TriLUG] OT broadband question

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Wed Jan 15 14:32:14 EST 2003

Yes Sir,

Earthlink's policy is to block port 25 for all dial, DSL, and cable
customers.
Mindspring used to do this and when Earthlink absorbed them a couple
years ago they adopted the policy.
The intent is to limit the spam that might otherwise originate from
Earthlink customers.

Details on their policy may be found at
http://help.earthlink.net/port25/
Though some of the language on this page seems to indicate that this is
only for dial users rest assured that the blocking is not transport
technology dependant.  DSL and cable users will "benefit" just as much
as dial users from this filtering.  The fact that Sprint is the DSL
provider or that they do/do not use barbed wire to reach you makes no
difference.  See my previous post regarding this point...

Ryan