[TriLUG] Pre-installation on Sun Ultra 2

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 10:04:42 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 10:02, Geoff Purdy wrote:

> So, I tried option two - serial display.  To accomplish this
> I removed the monitor, keyboard and mouse connections;
> plugged a 25 pin to 9 pin null modem cable from serial port
> A to the serial port on my Linux laptop.  I powered the UE2
> on and attempted to connect via minicom using the serial
> port settings 9600 8N1 (per Sun docs).  Still nothing.

Make sure you turn off both hardware and software flow control (in the
serial port setup in minicom).  This was the ticket in getting the
serial console to work for me on TriLUG's Ultra 5.

> I believe the system should P.O.S.T. (Power On Self-Test)
> even though there is no OS installed.  From what I've read,
> the next troubleshooting step would be to buy and install a
> new Open Boot PROM chip.

You should still be able to get the serial console to display
*something* even if the NVRAM is bad, I think.

--Jeremy