[TriLUG] Pre-installation on Sun Ultra 2

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Wed Jan 29 18:32:32 EST 2003

I just got the 'ok' OBP prompt!

Jeremy and Reginald, thanks for your help - you guys are brilliant!

Here's how I got things working:

1) I changed hardware and software flow control to 'off' in minicom per
Jeremy's suggestion.

2) With the new settings I got a zero (that is an 'O' with a diagonal
line throught it) at the minicom terminal.  At least it was *something*.

3) I pulled the RAM and CPU per Reginald's suggestion, cleaned all of
the contacts with canned air, and re-installed the CPU and RAM.

4) Voila!  The 'ok' prompt came up shortly after power-on.

Now on to the Aurora installation process...

In case someone reads this thread in the archives in the future, I've
included a couple of links that were super helpful:

Sun Ultra 2 Series Service Manual
http://www.sun.com/oem/products/manuals/802-2561.pdf

Hardware Diagnostics for SunTM Systems: A Toolkit for System
Administrators
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content9