[TriLUG] Topic for Eric Raymond's talk, Monday February 10th ?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 30 22:27:01 EST 2003

Evening everyone,

As Lisa Boyd announced last night, TriLUG and NC*SA will be
co-sponsoring a visit by Eric Raymond to the Triangle on Monday, Feb.
10th.  Mr. Raymond will be speaking at UNC at 3:30 pm (see Paul Jones'
e-mail) and at NCSSM in Durham at 7pm (see http://trilug.org/ for the
details).

Since the evening talk is for TriLUG and NC*SA, we can request a topic
for ESR to address.  What would you like to hear him talk about?  Here's
an excerpt from his web site that describes what he likes to cover:

<quote href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/travelrules.html">
I can give talks or workshops on the following subjects:
 * The Open Source revolution: How software engineering might finally
grow up.
 * The Zen of Unix: Unix's design as philosophy, and vice versa.
 * Freedom, Power, and Software: What the Internet teaches us about
ethics and politics.
 * Twenty Years Among the Hackers: My life as an accidental
ethnographer.

My standard road show is basically `The Open Source Revolution', with
five modules on (a) the bazaar development model, (b) socio-anthropology
of hacker customs, (c) open source economics and business models, (d)
effective open-source advocacy, (e) a long strange trip report (my life
as an accidental revolutionary). I do whichever of these modules the
audience tells me it wants in the time available.
</quote>

Please reply with your interests and we'll compile the requests and
provide that to Mr. Raymond.  We'll also try to coordinate with iBiblio
so that the evening talk doesn't cover the exact same things as the 3:30
UNC talk, for those who can attend both.

Thanks, and don't forget to attend, and please do pass the word on to
others who might be interested in coming.

Regards,
Jeremy Portzer
TriLUG Treasurer