[TriLUG] Xwindows on RedHat 8.0

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:53:48 EST 2003

I did the "everything" install for RedHat 8.0 and now I'm getting some
strange problems loading X.  I log into the system, and type "startx" to
begin my session.  The first window that says "RedHat Linux" with the blue
background comes up, but the icons that normally sequentially load below
it are not coming up.  The system just hangs there and never actually
initializes X.  This problem came after I rebooted the system.

I can get to a virtual console and operate fine, but nothing in
XFree86.log has any errors, nor /var/log/messages, nor dmesg.  I also
don't know of any lock files that would prevent X (Gnome) from starting.
There is some stuff in /tmp but nothing with any broken symlinks.  Has
anyone else seen this?  I've added nothing to the system, and I'm not sure
why this keeps happening.  I've duplicated the error as my user account
and as root and get the same problem.  Please let me know if anyone has
any ideas.

Thanks,
JEff

Jeff Bollinger, CISSP