[TriLUG] Xwindows on RedHat 8.0

Lee Fickenscher elfick at trilug.org
Tue Feb 4 18:13:24 EST 2003

Jeff,
I had a problem similar to yours under Gentoo when using GDM to launch
gnome2. The cause was a font config problem that silently killed GDM.
If this is your situation (minus the Gentoo obviously) then
info on how to fix it in Gentoo can be found here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=19194&highlight=gnome+crashes
Perhaps you can use that translate that into something usefull on
Redhat. Their solution was to add the fonts from XF86Config to
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf.
Hope this helps,
Lee